Permanent Residence



Persons who fall into one of the following categories and who are desirous of making Jamaican their home may apply for Permanent Residence:

  • Spouse of a Jamaican national
  • Adults and minors who have claim to Jamaican nationality by virtue of heritage
  • Retired persons who have resided in Jamaica for over three years
  • Persons employed in Jamaica for a minimum period of five years unbroken employment
  • Foreign investors in Jamaica


A letter of application (in English) stating the reasons for seeking Permanent Residence must be addressed to:

The Chief Executive Officer
Passport, Immigration and Citizenship Agency (PICA)
25 Constant Spring Road
Kingston 10


The letter of application must be accompanied by the following documents:

  • A valid Passport
  • Marriage certificate (where applicable)
  • Evidence of financial means of support (for example, particulars of pension, bank account statements, property owned and business investments)
  • Medical Certificate issued in the last four weeks
  • Police Certificate issued in the last four weeks from the country from which you are migrating
  • Two recent passport size photographs
  • Names and addresses of two reputable references in Jamaica.

Please allow a minimum of six (6) months for the processing of the application.
If the application for Permanent Residence is successful then the applicant can apply for an initial entry visa of three (3) months duration at the nearest Jamaican Embassy. That visa will be renewed annually by PICA for three (3) years and thereafter a residence visa will be issued.


Establishing a Business in Jamaica

Jamaica is a premier investment location and is open to approved business ventures. It would be advisable for persons seeking to invest in Jamaica and to seek Permanent Residence in the
country to plan carefully and ascertain beforehand the level of competition in the sector of interest as well as the financial outlay required. Our Trade Commission would be better able to
advise you on this matter. Interested persons may wish to prepare a business plan for their proposed project and forward it to the Jamaica Trade Commission at the following address for

Jamaica Trade Commission
1 Prince Consort Road
London SW7 2BZ
Telephone: +44 207 823 9911

The following procedures are also required:

Application for a Work Permit and Business Visa:

  • A Work Permit must be approved by the Ministry of Labour of Jamaica before a business visa can be issued. Some Commonwealth citizens may be exempt from the
    business visa but all persons requiring a business visa may submit an application to the nearest Jamaican Embassy or Consulate, on presentation of the letter of approval for a
    Work Permit. For further details on work permit applications, please contact the Ministry of Labour at the following address:

Ministry of Labour and Social Security
Employment Section
1F North Street
Telephone: +1 876-922-9500 or +1 876-967-1900
Fax: +1 876-922-6902

Application for a Taxpayer Registration Number (TRN)

  • All taxpayers are required to register and obtain a TRN from the Revenue Board. The TRN is required for all transactions with the Revenue Department (including the
    importation of motor vehicles and the issuance of a Driver’s License).